Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Enrolling in School

When does school start?

Most schools in Japan start in April. Some schools also allow students to start in October. However, the majority of Japanese language schools allow students to joint at any time. This means that most students looking to study abroad at colleges and similar programs will enroll in a Japanese language school, come to Japan after obtaining the necessary visa, then study Japanese while waiting for the next Japanese school year to start.

Are classes taught in Japanese? How much Japanese do I need to know to take classes?

Most classes are taught in Japanese. It's best to have a level of Japanese equivalent to the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) Level 2. Please confirm language requirements with the school you wish to attend.

How much does studying abroad cost?

According to a study by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT​), tuition for studying abroad in Japan costs approximately between 800 thousand and 1.5 million yen per year. In addition to tuition, you will also need about 150 thousand yen a month to pay for rent, utilities (electricity, gas, water, phone, etc.), your commute, food, and other incidental expenses. You'll also need to cover expenses associated with moving to a new place, such as furniture and appliances.

What scholarships are available for studying abroad in Japan?

There are two types: ones via recommendation of a Japanese university and ones via recommendation of the embassy. Please consult the following website:

Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)

Everyday Life

How do you search for a place to live?

Many international students live in privately-managed apartments. To look for this kind of apartment, you can consult your school or use online or local real estate services. Student dorms run by the school may also be available, but please confirm this with the school you wish to attend.

How much money do I need to live on?

Although it depends on how much you spend on rent and food, the Japan Student Services Organization's Student Guide in Japan (http://www.jasso.go.jp/en/ study_j/sgtj.html) states that the average monthly expenditure for students studying abroad in Japan comes to over 100 thousand yen a month.

What kind of part-time job can I get?

The most common type of part-time jobs are translation and working at a restaurant or convenience store. If you decide to work while studying, please obtain permission from Immigration for activities outside of your visa purview and work in a manner that will not impact your studies. Working outside the permitted hours and job types is considered illegal employment and may result in deportation.


Who can I consult about issues I may have while living in Japan?

You can call or visit the Immigration Bureau of Japan's Foreign Residents Information Center or One-Stop Consultation Center.

Immigration Bureau of Japan

Request Information

If you don't see the question and answer to something you'd like to know about please send us an inquiry.
*We may not be able to answer all individual requests.